GET IN TOUCH
01474 391 374
07429 192 084

Driveway Installations in Wainscott

Wainscott is a small village in Rochester, in Kent. It is in the civil parish of Frindsbury Extra, in the Medway Unitary Authority, that is Medway Council. By 1950 it had been absorbed into the neighbouring residential areas of Strood. Wainscott itself is located snappishly next to Frindsbury, and is in the middle of beautiful agricultural land, as with ease as ancient woodlands. It is speculated that the declare is derived from the OE meaning Wagonner Cot or Wagon Shed.

Tilemaking at Wainscott
A map archaic 1711 shows this hamlet as consisting of a house and a few cottages known as Windscott, the proclaim probably referring to a growth of cottages in an exposed or windy place. The house was called ‘White Horse’ and, since the hamlet was situated on a crossroads on the road to the Isle of Grain, it may competently have been an inn. By 1838, the broadcast had been corrupted to Wainscott and a local pottery industry was already in existence by 1842. The main works was the Wainscott Pottery owned by a Henry Hone and next to this was a smaller operation owned by Thomas Fox. The defense for their location is easily explained by psychiatry of the local estate ownership at this time.
Nearby at Four Elms Hill were two clay pits owned by a William Beadle, who was something of an entrepreneur. Beadle after that owned the estate to the rapid east of the road in Wainscott and it was here that the potteries were set up. Thus, not unaccompanied did he sell the clay to the potteries but he then got the rent from their premises as capably as the adjacent workers’ cottages. It must have been quite a monopoly for him as competently as being rather lucrative. Both potteries produced tiles for the expanding building industry and some may have found their way to London together later the local brick trade.
The tithe records afterward list an Edward Hone (limeburner at Upnor) and a John Hone (brickmaker at Bill Street). It is not known if they were partnered to Henry Hone but it is feasible that this was an example of a relatives diversifying into anything aspects of supplying the building industry. Henry well along went upon to own the Kings Arms pub and John the Old Oak Inn.
By 1858, there had been a tweak of proprietors and the potteries were now owned by Thomas Baker and Jesse Clark Foster. It is likely that the larger premises belonged to the latter since, in 1877, Foster bought the clay pits from the Executors of Beadle who had by next died. With this assumption, Baker must have sold out after a few years to Messrs Charlton & Matthews since, in the book “Industrial Medway” by J.M. Preston, they are mentioned in an commercial dated 1868. This reference is interesting past it shows the diverse range of products beast produced i.e. oven & paving bricks and tiles; pan, plain & ridge tiles; sanitary & land drainage pipes; chimney, flower & paint pots; garden & edging tiles.
In the meantime, Foster continued to enhancement his pottery and took his son Theophilus into partnership in 1867. In 1871 they were shown as brick and tile manufacturers but there is no evidence that they had the indispensable equipment at their clay pits to make bricks on site. Since it was a competitive situation locally, it is more likely that they produced specialised bricks at their premises. In 1882 they sold out to Francis Hazell, who produced bricks, tiles, drainpipes and chimney & garden pots.
The 1862 Ordnance Survey map shows a draw capably next to each of the potteries. Whereas these may deserted be water wells, there is along with the possibility that they were chalk wells. The census of 1871 lists a William Eloine of Wainscott who was described as an ‘excavator’. This is a peculiar term past men who dug clay were normally described as merely labourers and it seems to imply descent at depth. He could of course have been a local with ease sinker but, again, the latter term is usually used in census job descriptions. One clue is fixed in an article on deneholes written by F.J. Spurrell in 1882, when he mentions a denehole (properly termed a chalkwell) which was after that being used at Plumstead for a tile works. It is known that a little quantity of chalk was other to normal bricks to prevent shrinkage during firing and possibly this was also finished in the exploit of tiles. If products of a ocher colour were required, like the Stock Bricks, a greater proportion of chalk would have to be extra to get the colouration. Thus, it is doable that the local tile works had chalkwells on the premises to get bond of their own supplies of chalk.

Wainscott is now bypassed to the east by the ‘Wainscott Eastern Bypass’ and to the north by ‘Wainscott Northern Bypass’. These roads, both named the A289, lead traffic from the A2 to the Medway Tunnel. These two roads meet at the ‘Four Elms Roundabout’, where the A228 climbs ‘Four Elms Hill’ and onto the Hoo Peninsula, where the A228 becomes the Ratcliffe Highway, that subsequently passes the Deangate Ridge Golf Club upon the left and takes the second roundabout exit on the Main Road into Hoo itself. At the top of Four Elms Hill is the village of Chattenden, that has much MOD land, especially in and in the region of Chattenden Army Barracks. The village has had many homes erected within it upon ex-farm/MOD land. These homes were developed by Crest Nicholson and the estate is known locally and officially as ‘Liberty Park’. The increase includes many interchange types of adjustment including homes and elderly adaptation for the local residents higher years.

Driveway Installations in Wainscott | Award Winners | KMS Contractors

Driveway Installations in Wainscott KMS Contractors Ltd, are able to provide a wide range of options when it comes to high quality at an affordable price.

Fully registered by Marshall’s; KMS Contractors Ltd of Meopham, are able to provide a wide range of options when it comes to high quality Driveway Installations in Wainscott at an affordable price. We are proud to be one of Wainscott Driveway installers, offering an increasing product range, with the experience and knowledge to install any kind of Driveway.

Our Marshall’s registration means that as a company we are verified by the leading body in the Driveway installation industry, which also offers our customers a 10 year guarantee on all Marshall’s driveways. KMS Contractors Ltd have held this registration for a while now which is a testament to the quality and consistency of our work.

All Driveway Installation works are carried out by KMS Contractors Ltd which complies with all government legislation, including ‘surface water’ to which we can provide further advice upon consultation. With our skills and experience in driveway installations in Wainscott and our vast knowledge of block paving we have installed many excellently finished products which you can view using our slider above.

If you are looking to get an estimate for a new driveway in Wainscott or block paving please contact us to arrange an appointment by emailing us on Info@kmscontractors.co.uk

Marshall Awards

Marshalls hold an annual competition where Registered Members are invited to submit examples of their work in a number of categories which are then judged for regional and national awards. Members are also able to list winning projects from other recognised competitions.

images

2019/20 Marshalls Regional Award Winner
Best Patio Transformation under 40m

images

2018/19 Marshalls Register National Award Winner – Highly Commended
Best use of Always Green

images

2018/19 Marshalls Register Regional Award Winner
Best use of Always Green

images

2018/19 Marshalls Register Regional Award Winner
Most Creative use of Marshalls Products

images

2018/19 Marshalls Register Regional Award Winner
Best Driveway Transformation over 70m

images

2017/18 Marshalls Register National Award Winner
Best Permeable Driveway

images

2017/18 Marshalls Register Regional Award Winner
Best Permeable Driveway

PLEASE NOTE WE ARE FULLY BOOKED UNTIL OCTOBER | WE ARE ON ANNUAL LEAVE UNTIL 8TH JULY